The financial and emotional cost born by identity theft victims is significant. Imagine trying to regain control of your identity again and restoring your credit rating after a criminal has damaged your reputation.
To limit your risk of identity theft while out and about here are four things to limit becoming a victim:
DO NOT CARRY
- Multiple credit cards or department store cards. Thieves often use them without having to show identification.
- Your passport
- Cheques. Although these are being phased out, thieves often sign them and cash them in.
- Password lists
- Carrying just one credit card or department store card for your shopping trip
- Carrying a photocopy or digital copy of your passport
- Trying on-line banking to pay bills rather than cheques
- Using an encrypted tool to store your password. Try SplashID or LastPass.com
Identity theft is on the rise, so take the time to limit your risks.